Sunday, December 29, 2013

december book haul

Now that I am no longer working full time, I have found myself with much more spare time on my hands which I've been mostly filling with the following three things:
  • Online shopping.
  • Real-life shopping.
  • Reading.
Due to this, I have suddenly found myself cramming books into any space on my shelves that I can possibly muster but still can't seem to get rid of the constant need to buy more. So instead of looking at them and trying to figure out when I'll possibly find the time to read all of them, I decided to share them here in a December book haul. It's kind of a big one for somebody who usually buys 1 every month or so...




1. Handling The Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
I read Let The Right One In almost three years ago and was absolutely blown away by it so when I found out he also wrote a book about zombies, there was no way I couldn't get it. I'm still yet to read it because it took so damn long to arrive but I'm so. damn. excited!

2. Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
When purchasing Handling The Undead I noticed that they had Let The Right One In with a matching cover and since it's been so long since I read it last (I had borrowed it from Rhiannon) I thought I might as well pick up a copy of it to re-read.

3. Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers.
Well, to be quite honest I was quite disappointed when reading this book. I let Walt Disney fool me into believing that Mary Poppins was practically perfect in every way but now I've discovered that she was kind of a bitch.

4. The BFG by Roald Dahl.
I am absolutely loving making my way through Roald Dahl's books. I feel like my childhood was lacking now that I know how wonderful he is. I found myself literally laughing out loud, at one point there were tears rolling down my face.

5. Alice In Zombieland by Gena Showalter.
Again, another one I am yet to read. I bought Through The Zombieglass a few months ago, not realising that it was the sequel so I thought I'd better buy the first one so it doesn't go to waste on my shelf. I'm not overly excited to read this but it does look kind of interesting so we'll see.

6. Cujo by Stephen King.
I've recently read Carrie, and The Green Mile is one of my all time favourites, so when I was given a gift card I thought I might pick up another one of Stephen King's books since I enjoyed the other two so much. Decided on Cujo because my Mum has told me a few times in the past that it terrifies her so I'm excited to read this.

7. Divergent by Veronica Roth.
I know, I'm extremely late to the bandwagon, but better late than never, right? I know everybody loves this series but I didn't go into it with high expectations. For some reason, I just didn't know if I would enjoy it. Turns out, I fucking loved it. Not much more needs to be said, I'm sure you all know for yourselves how great it is.

8. Ink by Amanda Sun.
I'm still not entirely sure why I bought this book, I don't have a huge interest in reading it. I'm sure I'll pick it up one day when I don't know what else to read. If you've read it, let me know what you thought? Maybe I'll be inspired to pick it up sooner?

9. The Catcher In The Rye by J. D. Salinger.
This is one of my all time favourites. I was going through my shelf one morning and decided I needed a new copy since the one I bought was already secondhand but now the pages are barely staying together and it's covered in highlighting and notes from when I studied it in year 12. A new, clean copy was definitely needed.

10. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
I have never read this but I have a copy of Tom Sawyer sitting in my TBR pile so I thought I'd buy a nice copy of Huckleberry Finn to match while it was cheap.

11. Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher.
I've heard some really great things about this book so I'm really excited to read it. I read the synopsis on goodreads and it sounded right up my alley so I couldn't pass it up. Very, very excited to rad this book.

12. My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher.
And while I was at it, I thought I might as well grab this one as well since the covers were all pretty and matching. (I've discovered that, even though I know it's wrong, I most certainly judge books my their covers).

13. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.
Well, how could I not? Everybody keeps saying all these nice, lovely things about this book. I haven't read it yet because I haven't got it - I pre-ordered the paperback version (I know, I know.. but I just prefer paperback!) Very excited to hold it in my hands at last when it finally arrives.

14. Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake.
I have just heard nothing but good things about this book. It sounds like my kind of thing and when I found it for super cheap I couldn't resist.

15. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente.
I just.. UGH! I JUST REALLY WANT TO READ THIS BOOK! It just sounds so wonderful and fun and interesting. I'm terribly excited. It just looks so beautiful on my shelf. I don't know 100% what it is about but I don't even care. From what I've heard, it will be great.

16 - 22. Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling.
This was a Christmas present from my sister and is actually my fourth set of this series. I've slowly been collecting different editions so she bought me this set!

23. Insurgent by Veronica Roth.
Another Christmas present, this one from my mum. She was with my when I bought Divergent so I asked very nicely if she could pick this one up for me as well.

24. James And The Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.
My boyfriends parents got this for me for Christmas after they heard me cackling when I was reading The BFG. I'm really excited to read this one as it was always a favourite movie of mine growing up.

25. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.
Most years I buy myself a book, wrap it up and put it under the tree from myself. I don't know why, it started as a joke and now it just seems like a tradition. I've been wanting to read this book for years so when I saw it cheap on Christmas Eve and realised I hadn't bought myself one yet, it seemed perfect.

26. The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne.
I read this book about three years ago and it instantly became one of my favourite books. I have no idea why I didn't already own it but my boyfriends uncle gave me a Dymocks gift card for Christmas so I finally added it to my collection and can't wait to re-read it.

27. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid #8: Hard Luck by Jeff Kinney.
No matter how old I get, I will always be a twelve year old boy on the inside. I absolutely adore this series. (Purchase #2 from the gift card).

28. Paper Towns by John Green.
I'm slowly making my way through John Green's works and I haven't been disappointed yet so I'm really eager for another easy read by this extremely talented man. (Purchase #3 from the gift card)

29. Allegiant by Veronica Roth.
I couldn't end the year without owning the entire series. I've actually been struggling to find it cheap with a cover to match the other two so I was super excited to find this edition. (Purchase #4 from the gift card).

The year is not over yet but I can't see myself buying any more in the next three days (although I do have another gift card from my sister-in-law!) I think I'm set for the next few months. Let me know if you've read any of these and what you thought of them, maybe that way I can somehow work out what to read first and what can wait.

6 comments:

  1. The fact that you have Harry Potter in several different editions made me your fan, haha. I love Harry Potter and I'm still working on buying certain books in the series - they're so expensive I can't buy a complete collection all at once.

    Great blog, the colors are so soft and pretty :) Looking forward to your "Bookshelf"-tab.

    Mada @ All Fantasy Worlds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love Harry Potter? haha. Thanks so much for your feedback <3

      Delete
  2. I love the colors you choose for your blog and that your name comes from Beauty and the Beast!! =D Nice book haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When I was little I wanted to be Belle when I grew up.

      Delete
  3. That's a really extensive list you've got there! I'm extremely envious of that Harry Potter collection... It's so beautiful! Can't wait for more posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Ahh. Now just need to get the American covers and I think I'll lay off a bit ;)

      Delete