Saturday, January 4, 2014

december wrap up

I read a total of 13 books in December which for me is craaazy! Thought I'd share with you what I thought of them all without going into too much detail. (click the titles for my goodreads reviews if you want to know more but just be wary that I didn't review all of them)

The first book I read was Carrie by Stephen King. I picked up a second hand copy of this months and months ago but with the new film coming out I really wanted to read it before I went. I wasn't too sure how I'd feel about it but I absolutely loved it. Carrie was such an interesting and unique character that I couldn't help but feel attached to by the end of it, even after everything that happened and everything she did. Her mother was absolutely psychotic and the girls at her school were horrible, it's really no wonder the poor girl turned out the way she did. I rated it 4 out of 5 on goodreads.



The second book I read was Sixsational by Meg Cabot which is the sixth book in the Princess Diaries series. This series was an absolute favourite of mine through primary and high school and will always hold a special place in my heart. I have lost count of the times I have re-read it and I still love it every time. I rated this one 4 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

After that I moved onto The Shadow Thief by Alexandra Adornetto, which is the first book in The Strangest Adventures series. I absolutely love this book. It blows my mind that she was 13 years old when this was written. The language is so advanced and sophisticated, and her imagination is absolutely out of this world. It's one of my all time favourites and I'm looking forward to re-reading the rest of the series this year. I rated this book 5 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

The fourth book I picked up was actually a graphic novel but it still counts, right? It was Coraline by Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russell. Unfortunately I have never read the actual book by Neil Gaiman but I am absolutely going to in the near future. I wish I'd read it first because honestly this version kind of disappointed me. The story is wonderful but the images just weren't as creepy as I would have liked. I rated this 3 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

Continuing my Princess Diaries re-read, the fifth book I read this month was Seventh Heaven by Meg Cabot. This book is where it started going downhill for me because it's where J.P was introduced and I just don't like him. Michael is my literary boyfriend and anybody who threatens his happiness is not okay with me. I still, however, rated this book 4 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

The sixth book I decided to pick up was Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers. Wow. I was extremely disappointed by this book. The stories themselves were wonderful and fun and captivating but Mary Poppins the character? Well, she's kind of a bitch. I wasn't prepared for that at all. Although I didn't hate reading it, the shock of that kind of ruined it for me so I only rated this one 3 stars out of 5 on goodreads.

After the disappointment of that children's classic, I decided to go for another: The BFG by Roald Dahl. For some insane reason I never read Roald Dahl's books as a child. Making my way through them as an adult is so much fun! This definitely did not disappoint. I had tears rolling down my face on more than one occasion. I am so in love with his imagination and his lovely way of telling a story. I rated this 5 out of 5 on goodreads and it was my favourite new read of the month.

I then decided to continue on with my Harry Potter re-read with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling. Well, I don't really need to say much about this. Harry Potter is wonderful. Naturally I rated this book 5 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

Well. Well well well... I decided to see what all the fuss was about. I'm extremely late to the bandwagon, I know. My ninth book for the month was Divergent by Veronica Roth. I was not disappointed. At the beginning of the book I was kind of sceptical because I didn't think it could live up to the hype but the further and further I went along I realised what you all have been talking about. I absolutely loved it and am so excited to see where this series takes me. I rated Divergent 4 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

After re-reading The Shadow Thief I thought it was time to see what Halo by Alexandra Adornetto was like. Hmm. The writing was wonderful, I cannot fault it. However it was painfully evident that she was 18 when she wrote this one. I really just did not like the story or the characters or anything. I rated this book 2 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

The eleventh book I read this month was Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot. I read it in high school and loved it then but I had completely forgotten everything that happened. It was okay but I remember it being a lot better back then. The characters kind of annoyed me but it did make me laugh quite a lot. I rated it 3 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

The second to last book I read was Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan. It took me quite a bit to get through because I was reading it over Christmas but I liked that it took me that long because every night I got to go to bed with Percy for a few hours (okay that came out slightly dirtier than I meant it...) I am absolutely loving this series. It's quite juvenile and predictable but it's a children's book, that's what you'd expect. I can't wait to finish off this series soon. I rated it 3 out of 5 stars on goodreads because I liked it but just not as much as the others in the series.

And finally, my last book of the month, Elixir by Hilary Duff. Oh. My. God. I read it out of curiosity and now I regret that. It was awful. I honestly didn't like a thing about it other than that it was fairly short. This was definitely my disappointment of the month. I rated it 1 out of 5 stars on goodreads.

How did you all go in December? Have you read any of these books? Did you like/dislike them? Let me know what you think :)

6 comments:

  1. Have you watched the original Carrie? I need to watch the new one - I’ve heard mixed reviews about it. Also need to read the book :)

    I looooooved Roald Dahl’s book when I was younger. Always used to seek them out on my daily visits to the library, haha.

    Divergent kind of went downhill for me after the first book. Let me know what you think of the rest of the series, though!

    Hilary Duff writes books now! Well damn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't but I've got it! Just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

      I enjoyed Insurgent a lot. Let's see how Allegiant goes!

      Yeah she does but not well :P

      Delete
  2. Ahhh you read so many lovely books -- especially happy to see all the Meg Cabot stories on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was late on the bandwagon too and only read Divergent in December! Insurgent was also amazing btw. I'm yet to read Allegiant but loads of people hated it so I'm friggen nervous too now :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just stalked your goodreads and saw you just recently read Allegiant. I'm nervous too!

      Delete